Saturday, September 19, 2015

Beating the System, One Cuppa Joe At A Time

The Latest Installment of my Ongoing Rant About the Age of Diminishing Returns...

You may recall my recent screed on Facebook about the death of our $60 coffee pot, wunderkind of Chinese ingenuity, consigned to the garbage heap after less than two years of service.

Antennae up, I found this stove-top, non-electric percolator of my dreams a few days ago at a local yard sale for all of $3.



This old battle axe probably last saw active duty during the Korean War, but I have faith that it will outlive me, and will definitely last more than two years in my kitchen.  Made in the USA, thank you very much.

Thank you, Mirro Company, for your contribution to the American Dream.  Unfortunately, the company has since been swallowed up and has disappeared into the vortex of that great American phenomenon:  Offshoring.

At least I am lucky enough to own one of their great products that will last me a lifetime.  Even My Husband, who loves all things new and shiny, has become a fan.

While I’m on a rant, let me also present to you this annoying little gem:

Behold the newest addition to our household shower stall:


My old Daisy Shaver served me well for over 20 years.  I was happy with it, practical and economical, until I found that they no longer made the cartridges. 

Grrrr!!!

Now I am forced to buy this ridiculous contraption and spend a fortune on the replacement blades.


If it weren’t for my own ingrained “ick” threshold (I’m a product of the 80s after all), I would chuck it altogether and revert to 19th century norms of personal hygiene. But alas, much to MH's relief, I am stuck with this thing for the foreseeable future.

2 comments:

  1. Have a stove top percolator as well. Love it. Just not the wait....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the wait is annoying. It's definitely a trade off.

      Delete